Re: Menu Icons - Was: [linux-audio-user] how to encode w64

From: nigel henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 22:17:33 EEST

Hi Tim. Thanks for the good kick up the butt. It prompted me to work on my
desktop icons again. I picked up a nice little icon for zynaddsubfx off of
Slackware 10.0 which has brightened up FC1 & FC2's desktop, as it only had a
sheet of paper with a big orange ? . Hydrogen installed without a menu entry,
and I hate to admit it but have only just found Kmenuedit. Doh. That ones on
the desktop now on Slackware 10.0. Bit of a problem with Firefox on FC2. It
starts from a shell script in the home directory and Kmenuedit didn't want to
know. But creating a launcher from the desktop has dealt with that. Next
step, and the one your talking about is making icons from scratch with the
Gimp, for fweelin,Swami,amsynth,and the list goes on. I havn't worked with
the Gimp before but am willing to have a go for the sake of desktop
aesthetics. I'm attaching the zynaddsubfx icon,courtesy of Slackware
10.0.Nigel.

On Sunday 10 Apr 2005 11:52 am, tim hall wrote:
> Last Sunday 10 April 2005 09:04, Kai Vehmanen was like:
> > All those apps and not ecasound... where did my marketing go wrong? ;)
>
> There's a kind of user blind spot, due to ecasound being a command-line
> app. People only tend to think of trying it if they know it or specifically
> prefer command-line tools. This is why I have pushed for ecasound -c to
> have a menu entry (under Debian at least) and I'm now trying to think up a
> suitable icon or two to go with it. Experienced users tend to know where
> their tools are and don't mind, possibly even like the fact that it comes
> in a plain brown wrapper. The software and documentation are wonderful, but
> it doesn't leap off the shelf at you.
>
> Several Linux Audio packages lack icons, so I'm happy to coordinate efforts
> to create / find them. Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist, so I
> thought I might mention this here in case there are any GIMP/Blender
> experts lurking on the list who would be interested in contributing. I'm
> currently open to requests from other developers who know that they don't
> have any suitable images in their source code. I'm also happy to receive
> pointers to other icons that I'm likely to have missed or suitably
> convertible images.
>
> I am prepared to coordinate farming the icons out for distribution - any
> suggestions on how to make them all available to all Linux Audio Users, as
> well as DeMuDi (excepting the few DeMuDi-specific icons I have done) will
> be gratefully received. While I'm at it, thanks to all the Authors,
> Developers and Maintainers who have responded so positively so far. I
> understand how much this may seem like a side-issue.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk

zynaddsubfx-icon.png