[linux-audio-user] Live system

From: <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 19:44:46 EEST

Ok, I am building a machine from scratch to mix and record live music with
Ardour. Please look at my specs and offer any feedback.

Motherboard:

Asus K8N

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8n/overview.htm

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 (I haven’t decided on the speed, though price will play a factor
here. Probably the 3400.)

Ram:

2 – 1GB DDR400 PC3200 ram cards.

Hard Drive:

I am looking at 2 80GB 7200 RPM ATA drives to use in a RAID configuration, which
is apparently supported on the board. Any comments on this are welcomed!

CD Burner
I have a TEAC CD burner that I am planning on using. It’s fast.

I’ll use a 2 space rack case with a PCI and AGP riser cards. I’ll probably just
get a cheap-o AGP video card if no one thinks it matters.

Audio I/O will be accomplished with the ST Audio DSP3000 with an additional
ADC&DAC3000 for a total of 16 channels of full duplex 24/96 I/O. I’ll may add
a 3rd ADC&DAC3000 unit at some point.

Kernel:

I am thinking of using eh CCRMA FC3 i86_64 kernel if we think that’s workable.
I have heard grumblings about AMD 64 and CCRMA. If it’s bad, I’ll use Gentoo.
Any help here would be great.

Transportation:

6 or 8 space PA rack with shock mounts.

Control Surface:

This is an unanswered question as of now.

Video:

I am thinking of getting a rack video/keyboard deal like from a server room but
they seem really expensive. Any comments?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Matt