Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Ozonic

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 19:45:31 EEST

tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>:
> Last Friday 22 April 2005 06:08, Paul Gnuyen was like:
> > Hi guys, has anyone had any luck getting the M-Audio Ozonic
> > firewire Midi Controller and I/O device working in linux?  Or is
> > this known not to work.  What's a good firewire in box if this
> > doesn't work?

You didn't ask that but I can't resist: Compared to PCI performance
every firewire i/o box looks meagre. No DMA. Interleaved transmission,
so bandwidth trouble hits all channels right away. Firewire was not
made with multichannel audio in mind and it shows.

RME's Fireface manual reads like a confession. Problems all over the
place. They built a thing called "Safety buffer" into it. Gives you a
minimum round-trip latency of 48 frames in + 48 frames out + 64 frames
safety on the way out (3.6 ms/44.1khz). Not bad but not good either me
says.

Why everybody wants firewire i/o just the same? I don't know.

> You will have to wait for a driver to be developed. M-Audio,
> Focusrite and RME are probably worth keeping an eye out for. I think
> it's just a matter of time, we shall see.

I wonder if developping a free driver is worth the pain. M-Audio, RME
etc. seem to have made it clear that they themselves won't do it.

Wolfgang