Re: [linux-audio-user] Ableton live user

From: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 17:15:02 EEST

My first reaction to Levi's response also was that he is a troll. But I changed
my mind. I usually do not like such meta-debates but I will tell you why I
changed my mind.

First: he has subscribed to this mailing list for more than half a year and has
used several audio applications on Linux. So "uninformed" does not really apply.

He wrote:

> Sorry, but if your coming to linux thinking that you will find software
> of comparable performance to something such as Ableton Live, you are
> very mistaken. Nothing on linux even comes close to Ableton Live and
> probably never will.

The only parts of that paragraph where I think disagreement is reasonable are
the last four words ("and probably never will"). In his opinion there exists
nothing for Linux comparable to Ableton Live now: so what? If someone thinks
that there currently is something comparable to Ableton Live he or she should
simply name it.

> Why not just use Ableton Live?
> Save yourself a whole lot of trouble.

Well, I have seen similar statements on this list which did not lead to angry
attacks on the author.

> Oh, and using linux audio software live? I wouldn't.

Maybe he has had some frustrating experiences? He did not tell us, which is bad,
but I can see legitimate reasons to be cautious using any software live.

One should also consider the original question posed by Felipe:

>> i use ableton live in my show. but now i want use linux.
>> waht software i have to install to use, looks like ableton live ? or
>> other good sample.
>> i edit some samples and play with a group.

Felipe explicitely asked for something which "looks like ableton live" and "can
be used in a show" by a "group".

Trolls usually have the intention to disrupt. I do not see that here.

Cheers,
Andreas