Re: [linux-audio-user] Ableton live user

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 17:27:26 EEST

Hi,

> Iain Duncan has been using the Linux version of
> Csound for
> performances lasting hours at a time, Ron Parker has
> been employing
> Ardour as the DAW of choice in his professional
> studio (Mirror Image
> Studios) for the past six months

I recently stated that during the last six months
Ardour has been the exclusive DAW for my audio
production work. After thinking about it and reviewing
my calendar I believe it's closer to 12 months.

I began using and testing Ardour in 2001 and cut the
first of a half dozen complete albums with it in 2002.
I've produced a bunch of four to six song demos. It
has been an eventful and often frustrating experience.
Despite the state of reliability and my private
emotional outbursts I never seriously considered
giving up on using Linux Audio tools.

Is Linux Audio for everyone? No. For anyone that's
curious about what's under the hood of their tractor I
can't believe anything compares. And thanks to some
talented and relentless users and developers there's
some very usable products.

Not every producer, engineer or musician wants to know
about or participate in building new solutions.

, and many other
> people on and off this
> list are using Linux daily for the music creation
> and production needs.
>
> Levi D. Burton wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but if your coming to linux thinking that
> you will find
> > software of comparable performance to something
> such as Ableton Live,
> > you are very mistaken. Nothing on linux even
> comes close to Ableton
> > Live and probably never will.
> >
> > Why not just use Ableton Live? Save yourself a
> whole lot of trouble.

That's a prefectly fair question. BTW, what is Ableton
Live and what exists in Linux Audio that comparible to
it? I'm completely clueless.

> > Oh, and using linux audio software live? I
> wouldn't.

Maybe Levi has been having a rough experience. I have
no idea what that's like. Unless having a studio full
of paying clients standing around and wondering what
the fuck a segfault is qualifies. In that case I have
few peers. When I enter the gates of hell one fist
will be holding a linux audio laptop that's loaded
with core dumps and the other will be full albums
produced with Linux audio tools. And that's good
enough for me.

> > Felipe Machado wrote:
> >
> >> i use ableton live in my show. but now i want use
> linux. waht
> >> software i have to install to use, looks like
> ableton live ? or
> >> other good sample.
> >> i edit some samples and play with a group.

I'm not a sampler, looper, synthesis user. I am a
wannabe. I'm completely in the dark about the state of
these types of applications. I've used SSM in a few of
my mix productions where I route recorded audio
sources into the SSM jack'd inputs. That shit rules!

I've got a film score client that looked at me and
started laughing his guts out when he heard what I'd
done to his music with SSM. He said, "damned king, i
don't know what to think of that. It's insane. i think
it works." After playing it for some people he
reported that everyone loves it.

My studio partner Dana and I have a Kurzweil k2000r
that we intended to drive from Rosegarden. When I
fired up Zynaddsubfx we turned the power off on the
k2000r. RG and Zyn in sync with Ardour via jackd is
awesome.

Are these applications reliable on stage? If I had to
perform tonight I'd put the k2000r on stage. The
studio is a different situation. Until my experience
extends beyound being a novice I would require "known
to be reliable" for live performances. In other words,
I have the determination to learn how to use my tools
of choice. They are Linux Audio applications. And it
would piss me off to not use them.

I don't know what my points are but in the corner of
my vision is a drum kit. I'm oughta here!

ron