[linux-audio-user] live performance info

From: nebogeo <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 12:45:43 EEST

Hi all,

I finally made it to the LAC (yay) and did a performance which seemed to
generate a few questions that I probably didn't answer too well, in my
post-gig-panic state :) (was the night recorded btw?)

The main page for software I was using can be found here:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/livenoisetools/
This is probably the best explanation (huge url alert):
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/livenoisetools/livenoisetools/noisepattern/doc/composing.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The software is not really aimed at end users, or that coherently
documented, it's more of a research/art project, that might provide
ideas for a usable application later. feel free to give it a go, but it
will need hacking to some extent I expect.

Also, seeing as there has been some debate over whether linux is ready
for live use, I've been using the following setup for the last 12
months, it's kinda old now, but it's with good reason - it's completely
stable for me:

Thinkpad R31 running Slackware 9.0, with Luke Yelavich's AudioSlack
distribution and LL kernel. Jack 0.99.0 release (might have updated to a
cvs version - can't remember) I use liblo for OSC communication between
a sequencer, sampler and synth - and for communication from the GUI,
which is written in python, using tkinter.

I also use bash scripts for killing old processes, launching all the
apps, and connecting the jack ports up. I find this really valuable, as
you dont want to have to think about this stuff when you're nervous just
before starting.

Many many thanks to all the people who have worked so hard to make linux
the powerful, dependable platform you need for live work.

cheers,

dave