Re: [linux-audio-user] Pulling off old 2-track reels and trying to slow them down - SOLVED

From: Jesse Chappell <jesse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 03:43:31 EEST

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Alan Taylor wrote:

> The above method resulted in a file that still sounded way too fast.
> I'm not sure what I did wrong. Knowing that I wanted to slow down my
> recording to 25% of it's orginal speed, I tried using your suggestion of
> the inverse "-by .750", I tried the normal representation of 25%
> "-by .250", and I tried going directly to 25% speed with "-to 12000".
> All resulted in a wav file that was too fast, and got even faster after
> running your python script.

Actually, since you wanted the new speed to be 0.25 of the
original, the inverse of 0.25 = (1 / 0.25) = 4.0 ... so using -by
4.0 then using the python script to set the sample rate to 48000
would have also worked.

But your method is effectively the same thing (in reverse) so
the end result file is the same.

Glad I could help, but it sucks that the tape was that much
faster. Re-recording at 96k would probably really help to
maintain fidelity.

jlc