Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] DIY serial input devices?

From: Rob Fell <robin.fell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 10:07:31 EEST

Paul Coccoli wrote:
<snip>

> I've figured out this much: you can wire a simple loopback by
> connecting DTR to DCD and DSR and connecting RTS to CTS. What if you
> insert a switch between these? E.g. connect RTS to the sleeve pin of
> a female 1/4" TS jack and CTS to the tip pin. Could you then plug in
> a sustain pedal?
>
> I've seen software that monitors the state of the pins on the serial
> port, so I'm not worried about that part. I'm just not sure if the
> hardware would work. Like when the switch is open, do you connect CTS
> to ground? I don't know enough about this stuff.

Hello Paul

The answer is - it depends a little on your hardware :)

A few points;

1. RS232 is nominally a +/- 13v (ish) system - you don't want to ground
anything.
2. It's an I/O port, and should be safe against short circuits, but I'd
recommend using at least 1K series resistance when you're poking around
there :)
3. The RS232 inputs should have pull-ups/downs to bring them to valid
levels when disconnected.

In summary - with 99% of normal sane hardware, it should work (but I'd
recommend the precaution of a 1K resistor).

Best of luck
Rob