Re: [linux-audio-user] Is there a way to compress the size of a wave file?

From: Marcus Alessi Bittencourt <alessi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 06:24:31 EEST

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Flash Love wrote:

> I recorded a one hour audio session using windows Sound Recorder for a friend
> and much to my chagrin and my friend's dismay, the Audacity edited file is
> over 400M!
> recording session was done the file size never exceeded 27M. I do not doubt

        Well, exercise simple logic. Uncompressed audio as wav or CD audio
is basically of the same type, 2-channel, 16-bit, 44.1Khz sr. A 74 minute
CD has 650Mb. How could that file of yours possibly ever be below 27Mb ?
:)
        Probably even as an mp3 it wouldn´t be that small. Anyway, if you
want to experiment with lossless compression, try the FLAC soundfile type.

MB