Re: [linux-audio-user] 2.6 which patches

From: Dave Strock <dtstrock@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 19:37:51 EEST

Reuben Martin wrote:
> Back on Sunday 01 May 2005 09:47 pm, Noah Roberts was like:
>
>>I am compiling 2.6.11 and having trouble finding the patches I am
>>supposed to use for low latency. In scouring the internet I find old
>>references to a Realtime LSM, a Low Latency patch, and the
>>Pre-emptable kernel patch. The later is included in the kernel now
>>and I turned it on. The low-latency patch seems to only be findable
>>as a patch to 2.4. The newest LSM is from a year ago.
>>
>>The user list website has a how to but it seems rather dated:
>>http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO.php3
>>
>>Last update 2 years ago.
>>
>>What are the current set of patches you use and where are they? More
>>importantly, how to you ready a CURRENT kernel for use with audio and
>>where is the HOWTO on that?
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> The current 2.6 kernel is pretty good on it's own. If you're looking to patch
> it further though, there are only really two patches you need:
> 1) Ingo's realtime-preempt patchset
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
>
> 2) the current realtime-lsm patch. it can be found in the broken out patches
> from the mm patchset
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12-rc3/2.6.12-rc3-mm2/broken-out/
>
> I'm currently using a kernel with the Gentoo patchset applied (for added
> stability and bug fixes), with these two added on top (for lower latency and
> the LSM capability). Works fine.

I have a question regarding using these patchsets on already patched kernels. A
 month or so ago I tried adding these patches above to the debian patched
kernel, much like I assume you are doing with the gentoo patched kernel. I ran
into problems with Ingo's patch and Andrews mm patch not applying cleanly. It
seemed like it'd be a lot of work to clean them up by hand so I just gave up for
the time being, as the regular 2.6.11 that I had (with debian patches) gave me
acceptible latency for now.

(Debian packages lsm module sources so it wasn't a problem getting that working)

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for doing this sort of thing. Do I
have to just bite the bullet and just apply the patches by hand? I'm not
completely averse do doing this when I get some free time, but if there is a
better way I'd rather know about it.

BTW, what exactly does "broken out" mean, in reference to andrew's mm patches?
It seemed to me like its just all the individual patches from mm, but I didn't
look very hard.

Thanks,
Dave Strock