Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New hardware choice

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 03:48:20 EEST

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:30:17PM -0400, lanas wrote:
> By the way, when you record the output of external synths, can you
> connect directly their outputs to any eventual computer input ? If you
> have three external synths, surely you need an external mixer, isn"t it
> Or is there some other configuration nowadays ?

It depends. Synths generally output line level, so if your soundcard has
enough analog inputs, you can plug all your synths directly into it. But
if you have several synths running at once and not enough inputs on the
soundcard, yes, you need a mixer.

> Or is it that you
> have to mike the output of the synths' own amplifiers ?

Only if the amplifier does something you like to the character of the
sound. That's commonly the case with guitar amps, where
the amp's distortion and the speaker's frequency response is an
important part of the sound. But with synths, it's *typically*
the case that the amp is designed to be somewhat neutral and
just amplify what you send it, so there'd be little benefit to
miking the amp; instead, just plug the synth into the soundcard
(or mixer).

However, that's not a rule. I presume that some synth players choose
amps to color their sound.... marshalls, leslies, whatever.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com