Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI keyboard recommendations?

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 16:29:17 EEST

On 5/12/05, October <extremecs@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Some of the google searchs I've read seem to be of the
> opinion that USB MIDI under linux is not yet ready for
> prime time. Would my live drive (with MIDI ports)
> suffice if this is the case? Should I be looking at
> add-on cards?

I use an Evolution MK-249c, which has both MIDI and USB (as most
controllers do now, it seems), and it works great on RH9. I used to
used it with a SB Live! using the included cable to hook it up to the
game/midiport. Now I use it with USB. It gets it's power from the
USB, which is nice feature (one less wall-wart).

> What might be a good choice for a first MIDI keyboard
> on a hobby budget and what sort of flaming hoops can I
> expect to jump through in regards to getting drivers
> and such in place?
>
> I've been considering some of the Edirol products.
> Will all the extra knobs and sliders be useful under
> linux or this a waste of money?

I wonder if anyone has got a CME controller:
http://www.cme-pro.com/product.html. These look nice, but I don't
know if they work under Linux using USB. I assume they work using the
MIDI port. The more knobs and sliders, the better, in my opinion.
The CMEs even have an expression pedal input, which I would love to
have. I believe I read that the transport buttons send SysEx, so
those may not work without some extra work.