[linux-audio-user] Re: MIDI keyboard recommendations?

From: <jmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 16:56:15 EEST

Lars Luthman <larsl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: ISO-8859-1, 15 lines --]
>
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 17:32 -0700, October wrote:
>> Some of the google searchs I've read seem to be of the
>> opinion that USB MIDI under linux is not yet ready for
>> prime time.
>
> I'm using an M-Audio Keystation with USB MIDI, and I've never had any
> problems with it. I just insert some kernel modules and plug it in, and
> it appears in qjackctl. I wish I would have got a keyboard with more
> knobs though.

I initially got an midiman (now m-audio) oxygen 8. It worked fine
under linux but the keys were very spongy, and one failed in less than
a month!

I managed to change it for an Evolution MK249c which I can heartily
recommend.. works very nicely under Linux and the key action is pretty
good. Also has a reasonable number of knobs (not sure it is still
available though.. 425C or 449C look good for small/large numbers of
keys respectively).

I think i would buy one of these now though:

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU305.shtml

Looks amazing.. with aftertouch as well (pretty rare on a keyboard of
this price).. but I am not 100% sure the USB port will work.. might
have to use your j/s port to drive it through the midi port as a
worst-case scenario.

You would need to try the key action though as this is really the main
thing about a keyboard, and it can really vary (as I found out!)

All the best,

James