Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: some new soundfiles on-line

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 23:39:12 EEST

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:28:32 +0100
James McDermott <jamesmichaelmcdermott@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > > Now if I can just get seq24 working with JACK... ;)
> > >

> > It's working out of the box under Debian Sid.. Very nice with
> > jack-transport compatibility!
>
> You mean you can connect seq24's midi ports using qjackctl?! That
> doesn't work on the latest Agnula/DeMuDi.
>
> Or does seq24 talk to Jack in some other way?

As seq24 is a midi sequencer what you can control with qjackctl's midi
patchbay are midi connections. Midi itself is not handled by jack. This
midi patchbay functionality is just a luxury in qjackctl, as it's nice
not to have to open yet another program for patching up midi ports.

seq24 as an ALSA client uses ports which are sort of "hidden". They do
not show up in ALSA midi patchbays (as qjackctl). seq24 insists on
handling the connections by itself. You can hook up midi ports per
pattern (one of the buttons in the midi pattern editor lets you choose a
destination port for this pattern).

But recent versions of seq24 actually do interact with jack. By means of
jack_transport it is possible to sync seq24 to other jack clients (like
hydrogen).

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!