Re: [linux-audio-user] midi automation and scripting tools?

From: Philip Nelson <panmanphil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 04:22:23 EEST

--- Stuart Allie <Stuart.Allie@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm looking for tools that can do things like this to a midi file:
>
> "take all the kick drum notes from bars 9 to 16 and shift them forward
> in time by 2 ticks"

snip etc.....

Code in MusE does some of these things. The user interface for doing them is
not very polished at this time and I wasn't able to do them easily. the nice
thing about muse is that the data is stored in an xml file that I could edit
which got me out of my predicament which required me to lose all my pitch bend
events.

The second part is harder, where you talk about the "music view" in notes,
beats, bars vs the data view. MusE stores noteons as offsets. Of course in the
program is the logic to relate the note event offsets so the track editor, but
I have not seen that this is exposed in an api.

Thinking about it I wondered if the code could be extended to allow you to send
note data from the track editor to an outside program. For example, if you
could send the data to jmax that did understand midi, but provides interesting
ways to manipulate the data. Being able to do it at run time is another idea I
suppose, with connections like the way ardour can send audio to effects or
outputs.

I'd also be interested in others ideas about what's possible now.

Philip - http://blogs.xcskiwinn.org/panmanphil
"There's a difference between righteous anger and just being crabby" - Barbara