Re: [linux-audio-user] Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 - Startup Messages

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-lad@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 10:29:49 EEST

David Haggett wrote:

> All
>
> I got one of these cards a few months ago. Sound production is really good,
> and it plays nicely with jack and alsa, but I get the following messages in
> the log every time I start my PC. I've updated from SuSE 9.1 to 9.3 (64bit
> on AMD64), but the messages persist.
>
> Consumer PCM code does not work well at the moment --jk
> ALSA sound/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:1916: AC'97 0 does not respond - RESET
> ALSA sound/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:1925: AC'97 0 access is not valid
> [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
> ice1712: cannot initialize ac97 for consumer, skipped
>
> I also notice that kamix/qamix doesn't have a volume slider. Is this "normal"
> behaviour for this card or is there anything I can do to make things
> "better"?

Yes, this is normal for this card (I have one).

The problem is that this card has an AC97 codec as well as the higher
quality ice1712 code. The ALSA people haven't been able (or haven't
bothered) getting the AC97 codec working because they know people
don't by the card for the cheapo codec :-).

Its safe to ignore the message, the rest of the car works fine.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"There are only two things wrong with C++: The initial concept and
the implementation." -- Bertrand Meyer