Re: [linux-audio-user] unable to use qsynth

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 05:54:47 EEST

Noah Roberts wrote:

>I am trying to use qsynth to play midi files through jack. I have
>tried 3 different sound fonts. 2 make no sounds and the GM font just
>crashes with output 'Killed'. fluidsynth does the same when using
>that font. When I play the midi with pmidi -p 129:0 file.mid I see
>green lights flash and such, but no sound comes out. I turned up gain
>but nothing happens. Using Qjackctl I see that the connections are
>right, it should be making noise. Pmidi seems to be ok with it...
>But nothing comes out. I have tried 3 different fonts and 2 different
>files having totally different content (one heavy metal the other
>piano music). I don't know what to try next.

Noah, how are you starting qsynth ? Specifically, what fonts have you
tried ? I think fluidsynth has some troubles with large soundfonts, at
least I've been unable to use qsynth with the Fluid_R3 font. Works fine
with Creative's 8mbgmsfx.sf2 though.

Youve connected qsynth's audio output to alsa_pcm in the Qjackctl audio
connections panel ? Volume is up on the mixer ?

Please let me know what fonts you've tried. Details help. :)

Best,

dp