[linux-audio-user] LADSPA hints

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 00:34:30 EEST

I wonder if anyone could suggest some useful settings for a couple of plugins.
I'm working with Ardour right now.

I want to use SC4 to essentially 'flatten out' a vocal take. I know such
approaches are generally frowned on around here, but the take has a large
dynamic range and it simply won't sit right in the mix any other way. I'm
really not sure where to put the threshold and compression ration to achieve
this kind of effect and I could do with some guidelines on attack, decay and
knee settings. It's a pop song, and yes I really do want it to sound like
that. any ideas?

The other issue is stereo reverb. What I want is a little pre-delay followed
by a long _smooth_ tail. Putting freeverb across the master track inputs just
sounds like I dropped the band in a bucket. There must be a way of doing
this. Would it be the way to make a separate stereo track for the reverb? I
notice some plugins don't have any signal mix control. I have also noticed
that many of the TAP plugins make bad broken noises in Ardour, should I not
be using them in this environment?

Any thoughts, experiences, pointers etc. gratefully received. I reckon I'll be
posting some oggs up soon at this rate. ;)

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk