[linux-audio-user] Digital mixer advice

From: Nick Torenvliet <torenvliet@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 14:27:20 EEST

Hi all, I've been lurking this list for years... just finished school...
got a job... and got the ccrma disks and just went crazy for a while.

SO I'm succesfully multi-tracking in Ardour - using/syncing with
hydrogen and editing wav files with audacity.

First off this software is a total blast!

My hardware is a 2.26GHz PIV and an ASSUS MOBO, SBLIVEEMU101K, 512MB RAM
and old cheap everything else. I find I can have disk XRUN problems
with four tracks of audio and 48ksampling... knocking down the sampling
rate helps... using any video card related function... like moving the
mixing panel... doesn't help :) I've got lots of guitars... amps...
basses bongos etc. and an old roland synth.

Couple of questions... editing audio from Ardour... what is the most
well used solution?

Will using flux box instead of GNOME see me an improvement in my audio
performance.

I used to use this product from propeller heads... I forget what it was
called but you could put a sampled drum loop in, and it would extract
info like bpm, and line it up for you etc. any equivalents in OS?

Lastly I am looking at getting either a digital mixer with say 8-16 ins
and a digital in card to interface with linux... or getting a faster
system and AD/DA/midi/digital in/out card.

Could some you you with either setup let me know the brand names/models
you are working with and how its going for you...so I can go do some
research? There are so many options I just don't know where to begin.
I'd like to see stuff that is really well supported by ALSA/ardour. Is
there a generally accepted best way to do this say at Stanford U or
elsewhere?

Again thanks all