Re: [linux-audio-user] voicemail?

From: anahata <anahata@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 22:58:33 EEST

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:44:04PM -0400, M P Smoak wrote:

> In my work I use telephone in similar ways. In both cases, phone calls
> are data.
[snip]
> But it's too big. Saving it as a .ogg file with quality = 4 gets it down
> to about 5 meg, I think. So the question is what's a good way to shrink
> it down?

For voice you could get away with a lower quality ogg and/or resampling
to a lower sample rate (digital telephony itself uses 8kHz)

For the ultimate in voce compression however, there are free GSM
compression/decompresison tools. In debian the gsm-utils pachage seems
to the the thing you need, no doubt will pull in all the various libgsm*
packages too. I haven't used it, but if you can get it to do what you
want you waon't get better voce compression.

> what type file will it be that is easily platform independent

Ogg vorbis is quite portable. Don't know about the GSM tools.

--
Anahata
anahata@email-addr-hidden -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk