Re: [linux-audio-user] I actually made some music!

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 03:47:48 EEST

Wow, thanks for the responses and tips!

Last Wednesday 25 May 2005 16:33, R Parker was like:
> woohoo, an era of music I love; Buffalo Springfield,
> Crosby Stills Nash & Young, etc. You can do great
> things with vocal harmonies.

Yep, harmonies are planned, but I don't want to overdo it.

> On first listen, taming the cymbal crashes will enable
> increasing the drum volumes. Cymbals do clash with
> Vocals and your vocals are very good. Then again the
> drums don't build tension 'til the resolving measures
> so it's cool.

Ah, that's interesting. I deliberately turned the cymbals up because I liked
the 'splashiness' of them. I might rework them as the programming could be
better.

> Parametric EQ to sweep/search for the correct kick
> cut; -15db at 200Hz tames common farting sound in kick
> drums. Many of us dampen the mallet head to tame
> resonance and then we go after the slap around 3kHz or
> there abouts--I never actually look. The hole is just
> to get the mic in.

Interesting...

> I like the echo on the vox too but would experiment
> with it. Maybe a more selective usage but then stomp
> on it. Verse, first measure "Caught up in my father"
> echo, echo, tailing into second measure just "sludging
> around." Then no more in the verse and cymbals build
> the last measure. Perserve the tonal quality with a
> seperate and very tight echo. You don't want to hear
> any slap. What am I babbling about. It's your fault
> for getting me excited.

Makes sense to me. This is a rough mix, I just slapped a bit of canyon delay
on at approximately the right speed for this mix. I shall experiment with it
a bit more. I also haven't quite got the compression right.

Glad you enjoyed it ;)

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk