Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/dmix recording problem

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 23:23:40 EEST

Hi,

> Amazing what ALSA has come up with. The August issue of the
> Linux Journal will include a rather lengthy article I wrote
> about ALSA from the user's perspective. I wrote about some
> of its plugins but somehow I missed this one.
>
> We are all truly blessed with the work done by the ALSA
> team, no joke.

I can only agree. Since I restarted doing audio stuff, I was
amazed more than one times.

As I bought my notebook a couple of years ago (and immediately
wiped out the NTFS partition on my hard drive ;-), USB was
still a sad issue.

Today? Using an el cheapo USB audio card via ALSA, running
JACK and Ardour on top of it is simply a joy (OK OK, except
for the latency ;).

MIDI over USB? Works great. Using a midisport 8x8? No problem
thanks to the available firmware loader (thanks to Clemens
Ladisch BTW).

Yesterday I had a lot of fun. I unpacked my old but worthy
acoustic guitar with a piezo mic in it, plugged it in and
tried out various LADSPA plugins via Ardour. I cannot
actually play the guitar except some chords and simple
melodies, but it was a great joy.

So, it needs to be said from time to time: Thanks to all
involved, including the GNU project and the kernel devs.
Members of open source projects have nothing else than the
satisfaction to have done a useful work.

For my part, I'm really impressed. Thanks to all.

Best regards

    ce