Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Usb interface

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 00:16:52 EEST

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 22:14, Andres Cabrera wrote:
> I'm not sure why, but just plugging the midisport 2x2 on my planetCCRMA
> FC2 setup makes it work. No extracting firmware or anything....

Yes. Because Planet CCRMA includes the EzUSBMidi package:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/usbmidi.html

EzUSBMidi is a GPL firmware package for Midisport 1x1 and 2x2. It works as
well as the proprietary firmware, but it is open source.

This is one of the big advantages of having open source firmwares: It is
possible to include easy to use, zero config packages to setup your devices
in your favorite distribution. This can't be done with the proprietary
firmware, because we don't have permission to redistribute, modify or create
RPM/deb packages with it. You need to unpack the extractor software, copy the
*.sys files from the windows disk, read the instructions and type some magic
words in your terminal before to enjoy.

Regards,
Pedro