Re: [linux-audio-user] mic preamp recommendations ?

From: Clement Yonkers <cyonkers@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 18:25:47 EEST

> I'd like to know what my fellow LAUyers recommend for a mic preamp for
> use with the following gear:
>
> mics:
> Shure SM58
> Yamaha MZ106s
>
> interfaces:
> M-Audio Delta 66
> PDAudioCF PCMCIA digital input card
>
> The gear is used for desktop recording, so I'd like to keep the cost
> low. Like, really low... ;)

Mic pre's on the cheap....

My first choice might be the Studio Projects VTB1. My next door neighbor
(we both have home studios) has one of these and I have had the
opportunity to use it in many situations -all of which I was impressed!
First as mic pre in this price range, I don't think you can beat it. It
also functions excellently as a direct box for "warming up" keyboards, or
recording bass or guitar direct.
Check out the review at Mojo Pie, http://www.mojopie.com/vtb1.html
and of course the Studio Projects web site,
http://www.studioprojects.com/vtb1.html
They are certainly cheap - $99.00 each at zZounds,
http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUVTB1

Another option would be the PAiA "Tube Head" Tube Microphone Pre-amp kit.
I have two channels which have been heavily modded and I like them a lot,
although they might not appeal to everyone.

If you choose this route, I would suggest the following:
Check out, and incorporate these mods
  http://www.paia.com/tmpmod.htm
  http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonus/paiamicpremods.html
Pull the "symmetry" trim pot off the circuit board and mount a pot on the
front panel. The "Symmetry" trim pot controls the amount of odd or even
harmonics (warmer <-> colder tube sound), and can do a lot in helping you
shape your sound. You may need to use a case with slightly more front
panel space to allow for the additional pot.
Check out http://www.paia.com/tubestuf.htm

BTW if you are not currently reading Tape-Op, you should be - besides it's
(still) free!
http://www.tapeop.com/

My 2-cents
Clement