Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] disaster redux

From: Chris Bannister <mockingbird@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 15:45:21 EEST

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:01:36PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
> >Greetings:
> >
> > It has not been a good week.
> >
> > As I mentioned yesterday I swapped my hardware into an identical box
> >as my original machine.

So motherboard and power supply ok.

> >to normal operation. I watched some movies, worked on some music, and
> >so forth.
> >
> > Today I powered up the box, logged on to the net, downloaded the
> >latest Csound CVS and started compiling.

gcc? gcc is known to find bad RAM. What is the brand of RAM?
Have heard stories of cheapo brand RAM failing under certain
circumstances. All sticks same brand?

> >everything froze again, the machine was locked tight as a drum. I had
> >to pull the plug to restart, but when grub came up my keyboard was
> >frozen. I pulled the plug again and got my keyboard back after
> >restarting.

Swapping all components to an other machine just moves fault, but
will prove motherboard + power supply ok, unless you have two faults :-(

--
Chris.
======