Re: [linux-audio-user] usb devices

From: <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 10:50:09 EEST

> Are usb devices a decent option for recording and
> playback? How about
> both at the same time?

Yes. Theoretically 12MBit are enough to work with 8 channels
simultaneously.
1 Stereo in and 1 Stereo out works great.

> Would the latency be noticable to me or
> listeners of my recordings?

My cheap Terratec card currently runs @ 40msecs latency which is
way too
much, but I hope to improve this one day.
I was told that other people got 10msecs on Edirol USB devices.

> Which USB devices are best wrt Linux compatibility? Is
> MAudio good here too?

AFAIK the Edirol devices usually work really out of the box, I
don't know anything about m-audio (except the Midisport 8x8 which
works great for me).

Best regards

ce