Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] AMD motherboard recommendations please?

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 18:02:36 EEST

Christopher K. George wrote:

>-- clip --
>

>>It's a little discouraging that of the two responses I got for
>>my quest of which motherboard to buy that can run dual AMD
>>processors, both of them said that their systems lock up. Two
>>systems aren't that many, but it sure would be nice to hear from
>>people with perfectly working systems too. :^)
>>

>Hey, I just got done building a new audio box using a dual Opteron MB --
>GIGABYTE GA-7A8DW. I've only got one CPU in it. Got a 1G RAM. I'm using a
>Matrox G450 video card running dual monitors. I installed Gentoo's AMD64
>port. I used their universal install CD. Running off of that during the
>install (this was a first for me with Gentoo) I did have the system lock up
>several times. I rebooted from the install CD and picked up where I'd left
>off. I was afraid maybe there was something wrong with my CPU, but since I've
>compiled my own kernel and have it running I haven't had it lock up. I did
>have one point where a certain program seg faulted but after a reboot it never
>did it again.
>I've been very pleased with the system. I'm using an RME HDSP Multiface for
>audio. As far as noise -- I have the CPU outside the studio so no issue
>there. I've had a couple of oddities with certain programs running in 64 bit
>mode, but nothing that makes them unusable. I need more time to really put
>the system to the test, but at this point I would recommend it. Our work is
>primarily with ardour. Make sure what ever software you normally use is not
>masked for AMD64. If it is, be prepared for an adventure. :)
>I'd be glad to try to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!
>
>~ckg

Great, a person trying 64bit CPU for audio! I have lots of questions.
First, what do you mean by "not masked for AMD64". Is that a compile
flag in some apps?

I suspect that you have to build all of your applications. Is that true?
Can you give us a list of the applications that you are using, what you
had to build, and your experiences/problems with them? The primary ones
like jack, qjackctl, drivers, etc. would be very interesting to learn
about as well as the major ones like Rosegarden, ardour, etc..
BTW, are you running ALSA?

Thanks,

brad

--