Re: [linux-audio-user] ubunto + realtime performance

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 00:53:21 EEST

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> You know, that stable is quite current now, don't you?

Yes. But if the next stable is as long under way as sarge was, 5/6 of
the time I'll be running software that's more than half a year old...

> And that there
> is a thing in between and that is called "testing", which I ran the
> last year and it has always been quite comfortable.

Although testing could have been the sweet spot of debian, it's mostly
useless IMHO. This is because some software is really old at times and
some is quite buggy.

> I think, if your main interest is audio, then A/Demudi is a better
> choice. Or run Debian stable/testing with some packages from Demudi.

Maybe. As I mentioned I just ordered a biiig HD for my laptop. So
actually I planned to have a small partition with debian/sarge, no x, no
nothing, just my realtime csound setup and the rest in one big partition
with ubunto for desktop usage.

> Regarding realtime performance: I doubt, that Ubuntu will give you
> better performance that stock Debian. A/Demudi however will.

So maybe my small csound partition should be demudi....

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte