[linux-audio-user] Re: WYSIWYG score typesetting?

From: Reinhard <suamor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 22:03:01 EEST

Hi Mikhail,

> Hello,
>
> I have not been here for some months...
>
> Was any progress registered on any software for WYSIWYG score
typesetting?

> I'm starting to think that for tasks that really need WYSIWYG (as
opposed to
> visual editing of the score "text" but not the layout), a DTP-oriented
> approach might be the best thing to do. Perhaps even adding a score
module to
> Scribus. But before I start thinking of whether to try some coding:
perhaos
> there is already enough progress in ome project? I'm really not the best
> coder out there...
>
> --
> Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Well I can recommand NoteEdit, just take a look at the NoteEdit
homepage: http://noteedit.berlios.de
It's strength are music score editing and using of external music
notation systems like lilypond or musixtex to print your score.
Midi for easier input and listening to your score is supported
as well.

I wouldn't directly compare it to a DTP program like scribus
but more to a TeX frontend like lyx (i.e. formatting of the score
is not done directly with NoteEdit, though you can set several
format options for export).

Best Regards,

Reinhard Katzmann

--
Software-Engineer, Developer of User Interfaces
Project: Noteedit - a score editor - http://noteedit.berlios.de