Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mellotron sounds

From: Neil Durant <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 13:33:50 EEST

James Stone wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:24:57 +0100, Neil Durant wrote:
>
> > Brett McCoy wrote:
> >> A little while back there was a thread about building Mellotron sound
> >> fonts, but all the links posted in that thread are dead (searched via
> >> Google). Does anyone know where these might be found? I've got this
> >> great Mellotron VST plugin but it flat out refuses to work under any of
> >> the Linux VST compatibility libraries (and the standalone version loads
> >> under Wine, but it requires ASIO to produce any sound), so am looking
> >> for something that will work under Linux.
> >
> > Let me know if I can be of assistance, if you need raw Mellotron sounds.
> > I own a Mellotron M400, with new remasters of the following tapes:
> >
> > 8-choir
> > M300 strings
> > Cello
> > Mk-II strings
> > Russian Choir
> > Church Organ
>
> If you are willing to provide full length samples of these, I would love
> to put a soundfont together. I think there is some difference in sound
> depending on pressure as well? Perhaps a layered font would be a good idea.

There is some difference in sound depending on pressure, but I'm not sure
it's a desirable difference. Generally speaking, if you play the note
properly, it sounds good, if you play it harder there's no noticable
difference, and if you play it softer the sound starts to fade out and
break up, as the head gets further from the tape.

I'd be happy to sample the full lengths of all 35 notes for all six sounds,
storing them as wavs. I don't have a lot of spare time these days, so I'll
let someone else have the pleasure of cropping/editing!

I wonder what the legal situation is regarding making soundfonts of these
recorded sounds...anyone know?

Neil

--
Neil Durant