Re: [linux-audio-user] Best(saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 13:20:01 EEST

Hi,

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 23:08, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 Jun 2005 21:46, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > USB. Edirol devices usually work well. Or the Tascam US-122
> > which has an own driver in the kernel.
> Maybe the Echo Indigo I/O? A nice, affordable, reliable, well-supported
> stereo mini-jack in/out PCMCIA (sorry, CardBus) card.
>
> It will almost certainly give you better performance and less hassle
> than a USB device, but you won't get much hardware flexibility, you'll

You will get better than 3-5 ms latency with cardbus instead of usb? Please
prove it!

The tascam has excellent pre-amps (at least for that money), XLR-inputs,
analog inserts, phantom power, direct monitoring, no software-controllable
mixer (no hassling with several different programs each doing their settings
and disturbing your sound) and is fully powered over usb (even phantom
power). And with a recent computer you can get 5ms latency easily, at least I
get them with my pc and the tascam.
What else do you want except more channels?

> Maybe better for on-the-road recording than an effects box, but worth a
> look.

The tascam is good for on-the-road recording as well as an effects box, I
already did both these things with it. And used it as mic-preamp for
recording with my bigger soundcard when I needed more than one stereo-out for
a monitor-mix...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be