Re: [linux-audio-user] Best(saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

From: MarC <marc_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 17:45:17 EEST

En/na Arnold Krille ha escrit:

>Hi,
>
>On Wednesday 29 June 2005 23:08, Chris Cannam wrote:
>

>>On Wednesday 29 Jun 2005 21:46, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>>

>>>USB. Edirol devices usually work well. Or the Tascam US-122
>>>which has an own driver in the kernel.
>>>

>>Maybe the Echo Indigo I/O? A nice, affordable, reliable, well-supported
>>stereo mini-jack in/out PCMCIA (sorry, CardBus) card.
>>
>>It will almost certainly give you better performance and less hassle
>>than a USB device, but you won't get much hardware flexibility, you'll
>>

>You will get better than 3-5 ms latency with cardbus instead of usb? Please
>prove it!

weelll I've been surfing the web looking up all this stuff and I've got
lots of things to ask:

mini-jack isn't a good think... however I work with a USB drive
constantly connected to my computer and I use a USB MIDI keyboard...
Should I worry about the latency? (15ms is perfect for me)
Is it worth using cardbus cards? Are they really better"?

For the Edirol suggestion I found "EDIROL UA-25 USB Audio and MIDI
interface for Music Recording" and there is a good review pointing out
some problems with the dynamic range and the input compression...
Do you know any card which solves this?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006AZLSU/ref=pd_sbs_MI_3/104-9681277-5000739?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

On the other hand, what about Mackie Spike Digital Recording System?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006AZLSU/ref=pd_sbs_MI_3/104-9681277-5000739?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Finally I suppose that Firewire won't work on linux isn't it? PreSonus
FIREBOX looks awesome... ;( snif
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006VYH1Q/qid=1120314525/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/104-9681277-5000739?v=glance&n=507846