Re: [linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 18:41:53 EEST

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 08:37:00AM -0600, Steve D wrote:

> Thank you Thorsten-- Believe it or not, I chose the old fat saw-wave
> synthesizer sound *because* it sounded cheesy. ;-) It's a way of poking
> fun at my own music and at production in general. Having the same
> thought as you, I tried several jazz organ and a variety of great flute
> sounds before choosing the cheesy current lead voice.

Interesting.

> The other lead
> voice is cheesy too, a stratocaster guitar sound with *way* overdone
> delay, phaser, chorus and equalization (so 80s).

I don't think that one is cheesy. To me it's a nice, full, warm sound,
working very well in its context. Well, ok a bit less phasing/chorus
might have done it, too :)

> That said, I believe "music" is in the ear of the creator and listener,
> to convert the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" quote to a
> different purpose. I personally feel that music is *any* sound that its
> creator likes or enjoys, from clicking sticks together while walking
> through the woods in cadence to them, to the most elaborately
> structured, harmonically or melodically or rhythmically complex sounds
> he or she can come up with. And good music should be able to stand on
> its own, *apart* from any production that may give it a superficial
> polish and gleam. The beauty and impressive nature of Rachmaninov's
> harmonies and melodies would remain even if they were played on toy
> pianos, steel drums, etc. (although they sound better with piano and
> orchestra ;-)
>
> I guess what I mean is that the music itself, to me, matters more than
> the production of that music. If I can be pleased with my music
> *despite* cheesy sounds, bad production and inexpert mixing, then that
> means (to me) that the music itself is OK. ;-)

Yes, especialy great harmonies and melodies can work with varying
instrumentation and work their magic even with realy bad ones.
But in some cases the sound _is_ the music. Some sequences only
work with matching sounds and are meaningless without (not that
it would be the case here).

Personaly, I don't see the choice of patches/sounds as part of
the production ... or rather it's inbetween composition/generation
and production.

> Sorry for the "philosophical digression." ;-)

NP ;-)

---
Thorsten Wilms