Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Sound service and recording

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 02:10:23 EEST

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 18:24 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
>
> >>It depends on the music and the venue. If possible, using amplifiers
> >>for the guitar and bass is more ideal -- the musicians will have more
> >>control over their sound and not have to rely on the sound person, and
> >>this is a good thing.
> >

> > Not if you are the sound guy. One of the more common annoyances was
> > guitarists with Marshall stack(s) who have more power than the entire PA
> > and won't turn down so that people can hear the rest of the band...
>
> That's just rude -- and I use Marshalls myself.

Heh, if you think that's rude...

A few years ago I had the occasion to run sound for Man Or Astro-Man at
a small local venue. They closed the set with an impressive light show
courtesy of a home made Tesla coil.

After they left the stage, I noticed a faint glow coming from within the
speaker cabinet in one of the mains over the stage. Just as I was
thinking "Hmm, that's odd, I wonder if it has anything to do with the
Tesla coil" the cone burst into flames. I vaulted over the soundboard,
knocked a few people down, and ran behind the stage into the kitchen,
ripped the fire extinguisher off the wall, and ran back out just in time
to douse the speaker before anything else caught on fire.

Actually the band was quite apologetic, and paid to have our PA speaker
replaced.

I learned an important lesson about Tesla coil safety, and discovered
that actually using a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose is a
great feeling.

Lee