Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 12:50:40 EEST

On Wed, 06 Jul, 2005 at 11:39PM -0600, Steve D spake thus:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:02:24AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote, in
> response to Steve D's musings about possibly collaborating with someone
> by trying to create some music using someone else's audio
> file--specifically a drum/percussion track:
>

> > I would like to hear what you come up with on some breakbeats, if you are
> > interested:
> > http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/this_and_that.ogg
> > Just ignore the overy simplistic and repetetiv melody, it's a very old
> > track :)
> > I could load the drumloops up, no arrangement, as I'm very busy and I would
> > do it in MusE anyway, not Ardour as I don't feel like learning to use it,
> > since I usualy need both audio and midi in one go (the original has been
> > created with Cubase VST).
> >
> > This offer is also open for anyone else.
> >
> > Thorsten Wilms
>

> Hello Thorsten--
>
> I downloaded the re-uploaded file of "This and That" (the one whose data
> was not corrupted), and worked on it for about 2 days, off and on. I
> added various harmony and melodic stuff until I ran out of ideas, which
> was about halfway through the piece. The original "breakbeats" file (as
> you called it) is about 6 minutes 30 seconds long, and my version
> chopped it roughly in half, to about 3 and a quarter minutes.
>
> If you or anyone cares to hear the results, the files are here:
>

> Thorsten Wilms, This and That (original file):
>
> http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/thorsten-wilms_this_and_that.ogg
>

> Thorsten Wilms and Steve Doonan, This and That (the version with my
> additions):
>
> http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/thorsten-wilms-and-steve-doonan_this_and_that.ogg

Wow. I liked the original and this new version is superb, too.

I loev this kind of music - intricate beats make me smile - but for
some reason I rarely attempt to create anything like it. I tend to
get fed up with endless twiddling and moving drums.

Do either of you have any hints?

James

> -sd

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)