Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: "Music" made with Linux!

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 15:56:03 EEST

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 14:28 +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> The quotes were in wrong place. Here is a suggestion:
> Music "made with Linux"!
>
> I would like to see less Linux used as a simple recorder
> and more Linux used as a virtual studio, every gear being
> a software.

Why on earth? People should use the tools they feel comfortable with.
Why limit yourself to "the software which runs on this platform"?

> So, if you have a human drummer, try to get him to use Hydrogen
> and drum samples. If you have a commercial hardware synth, try
> replace it with Zynaddsubfx. And so on.

I understand there would be some advertisement value to having music
which is "100% produced within Linux", but further than that it is a bit
short-sighted.

Music is made with whatever floats your boat (or the musicians boat).
The more different kinds of boats you can anchor into your harbour
(=platform, here Linux) the more lucrative your harbour is.

If we advertise, "here is music made completely in Linux, nothing else",
it undermines the fact that you can use external hardware effects,
synths, real drums, even some VSTs in Linux. Just like with the "big
boys".

Music is not about the tools. Advertisements can be about the tools,
though.. :)

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>