Re: [linux-audio-user] yet more music

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 18:07:52 EEST

james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:

>This is something I started a while ago, and only just got around to
>finishing.
>
>http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/justtwo.ogg

Good mix, sounds like it could be a good backing track for vocals or an
improv.

>I starting to think guitar lessons would be a good idea. I love using
>them, but since I can't actually play, I have to do it the long way
>and they always sound a bit too regular.

Someone else mentioned that the guitar sounds too clean. I'd say its
problem is its lack of expressive technique, it's a major problem for
any sequenced guitar tracks. The guitar is normally played in such a way
that most notes receive some sort of expression from the player, usually
a finger vibrato or some other slight pitch variation (bends,
glissandi). These articulations aren't impossible to program, but they
do take time and detailed effort to make the part sound realistic. Of
course, if you're not going for realism there's no problem. :)

Rather than taking lessons you might just want to pick up a good book on
orchestration and instrumentation. My personal favorite is H. Blatter's
book but there are plenty to choose from. And of course it also pays to
hang out with players of other instruments to get a better idea of their
basic techniques.

All of which may not matter at all if you don't intend a "realistic"
effect. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Don't you just love making
music with computers ? :)

Thanks for music (again), James !

Best regards,

dp