Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio sandbox..

From: <ross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 22:13:45 EEST

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:40:53PM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> The fact that my desktop can automatically restore previous state (with
> reasonable accuracy) makes me thing that this should not be a really big
> problem (although I recognise the fine detail is more problematic).

Well, it's easy for your desktop because so much of the work has
already been done. There's an X11 extension that specifically
implements session management. This provides a fully functional
session management implementation for things like Gnome and KDE
to look at and use.

Check the manpage for xsm for some details - I'm aware of this stuff
but don't really know how to use it. smproxy lets you session apps
that don't support the X11R6 Session Management Protocol.

You should be able to hack something basic together with this stuff -
ie, have a "Recording" session that loads up jack, ardour, jack-rack,
etc.

Unfortuantely, the deficiency of apps to save their own state is sort
of outside the scope - you'll still need to load the jack-rack plugins
you want.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@email-addr-hidden