Re: [linux-audio-user] yet more music

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 01:31:19 EEST

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 12:42 +0100, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:

> http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/justtwo.ogg

Nice! I like the mood and the expression.

Here comes the exaggerated nitpicking:

I'm not sure what kind of effects you're using (reverb/chorus/...) but
they're a bit tight and dark. The soundstage is also a bit foggy and
crowded. Might be a side-effect of the low bitrate used in the Ogg file.
But it might be worth the effort to space it out a little bit: give a
better definition (individuality) to each sound and let the ear-candy
(effects) breathe a bit.

I also think I hear something that sounds like nasty distortion. Might
be amplitude overload at some stage (maybe at encoding to Ogg?) but
might actually be an effect (limiter?) that sounds like something went
wrong.
Maybe that's the desired result, but even so it might be a good idea to
make it less natural and convincing ;-) (e.g. like the difference
between a painting and a photo)

> I starting to think guitar lessons would be a good idea. I love using
> them, but since I can't actually play, I have to do it the long way
> and they always sound a bit too regular.

Yeah, the guitar sounds strange.

It would be nice if there was a button in any sequencer to slightly
randomize a track, not a lot, just VERY gently (more on velocity, less
or not at all on timing). That might take care of the robotic sound.

Anyway, it also depends on the style. Kraftwerk didn't seem to have
issues with robotic sounds. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/