Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Call for collaboration

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 19:21:10 EEST

On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 02:19PM +0000, jmstone@email-addr-hidden spake thus:
> james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 11:33AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:
> >> Hi James,

> >> I downloaded it, and I kinda like it. I think I can come up with some
> >> guitars to that. I did some fiddling around to the track Thorsten posted
> >> some time ago, but did not post anything of it, since I was not that
> >> satisfied with my playing on it.
> >>
> >> My vocal abilities are just enough to sing some background in my band.
> >> So I won't do any vocals for that. But in order to get along with vocals
> >> it would be better for a potential vocalist to come with some lines
> >> first, so I can accompany them and we don't get into each others way.
> >
> > I agree that working together rather than in turn is probably best, I
> > wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a vocalist.
> >
> > Singing is a lot more personal than playing or composing and I think
> > people will be far less likely to come forward and bare themselves.
> >
> > I hope somone proves me wrong, of course!
> >
> >> I'll take the track home tonight and see with what I can come up. I
> >> think I can post that tomorrow.
> >
> > That's great. I very nearly wrote about what kind of thing I'm
> > looking for in the original mail, but then decided not to. If I
> > specified the kind of sound I'm after, it would influence people and
> > give us less room to explore.
> >
> > I'll share later, of course and maybe what I'm expecting and what you
> > intend to do will match up. Either way, it should be fun.
> >

> Really nice backing track!
>
> In my opinion, the best vocal accompaniment to this track would be a
> spoken voice piece, preferably with a scottish accent (think a cross
> between Iggy Pop and Prolapse in their more laid-back phases, possibly
> Coil).

Interesting. I was thinking more like muffled, soulful, slow-paced
singing with lingering notes, cutting to sparkly, faster, more urgent
pieces when everything crashes back in. Sigur Ros meets Portishead
and Bjork.

> If I think of some good lyrics I will certainly have a go, but
> I don't think South-Eastern UK accent is quite so up there in the cool
> stakes!

Haha, well it's better than what I've got - High-speed dumb-sounding
Blackcountry.

Ow am ya?

> I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to go with this track
> though. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Yup, I can't wait.

> James

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)