Re: [linux-audio-user] Problems appling realtime preempt patch to 2.6.12 (general)

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 19:47:21 EEST

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:11:55PM +0200, Marcel Karras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just joined the list and it's pretty interesting.
> Can someone tell me something about the differences between the
> preempt patch from Ingo and the "Realtime Linux Security Module"?
> I currently use the latter one and I'm quite satisfied as jack works
> really fast. Perhaps one should try this way instead of the vanilla
> kernel patch. There have to be pros and cons I'm interested in. Can
> someone point them out?

The LSM and Ingo's patches are addressing 2 separate issues. Ingo's
patch is working to minimize sources of latency in various code paths in
the kernel. The rtlimits and the realtime-lsm are addressing the issue
of providing a security model for realtime applications to get the
capabilities they need to run in real-time. Ordinarilly these
capabilities (CAP_SET_PCAP, mlockall(), and SCHED_FIFO()) are only
accessible as root. rtlimits and the realtime-lsm provide infrastructure
for allowing these capabilities to be granted to only a specified set of
users/processes.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia