Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: "Music" made with Linux!

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 23:32:47 EEST

Last Thursday 14 July 2005 16:45, Juhana Sadeharju was like:
> >> If you have a commercial hardware synth, try
> >> replace it with Zynaddsubfx.
> >
> >You gotta be kidding.
> >Are you suggesting to replace a Kurzweil K2661, or an Alesis Andromeda,
> >or a Hartmann Neuron with ZynAddSubFX?
>
> Well, you're basically saying that the Linux audio is not
> professional enough yet. This information is great. Now
> you should tell the ZynAddSubFX author (Paul?) what his
> software is missing.
>
> If musicians avoid using Linux software synths and other similar
> software, we simply don't face the problem. It does not help
> if only non-musicians try to use these software. We need
> a demo made by professional musicians, not by non-musicians.

WADR Juhana, I think you're being silly.

Every different synth has its great voices, unique tones and also its
weaknesses, hardware or software. The same applies to acoustic instruments
and voices. Music is a creative process, which involves idiosyncrasy,
emotion, psychoacoustics and doing what you can with what you've got. History
has provided us with some classic sounds from the first EMS synthi and Moogs
to ZynAddSubFX. Let's use them all. Soundfonts can be useful, but if I have
the chance to mic up a real Hammond or Mellotron, I will take it.

Recording it straight to Ardour, you understand. ;)

If you're using Linux for the Digital Audio Workstation part of your set-up
instead of Mac/Windows then your music qualifies as 'made with Linux'. We
could get picky and talk in terms of 'composed/recorded/mastered with Linux',
whatever, so long as no innocent GNUs get harmed in the course of the
production, then it will be welcome on my 'made with Linux' playlist.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk