[linux-audio-user] Ardour and DAT

From: ISh <ish@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 08:07:48 EEST

Hi Everyone,
I am editing a radio programme on ardour and the whole project has to be
delivered on DAT (Tape)format to the Radio station. As I am using a lot
of music made by myself and other friends the music and a lot of 'field
recordings ' that are on cd format(16 bit, 44Khz Audio). I am using
'Soundblaster Creative Audigy ZS'. Now there are a few issues/points
that were coming up regarding resampling, recoring on DAT etc.

1. Now a lot of field recordings and Music in on Cd (16bit ,44Khz)
format. And I am working with 48Khz ,16bit on the jackd(deamon) and on
ardour. Now if I oversample/ ‘resample at a higher rate’ in ardour by
importing it in the 'Auditions' region i.e. basically from 44Khz to
48Khz. Will I loose out on quality. Is the Ardour re-sampler good enough
to handle this conversion.

2. Or, should I work with 16bit-44Khz setting (on jackd/Ardour) and
export the final mixed session once finished to 16bit-48Khz(DAT) . So I
can take the dump of the final session on DAT tapes. Will this way be
better than the point(1) above in which all the audio is individually
re-sampled at

3. I have a 'Tascam DA-P 1' DAT recorder on which I have to dump the
final edit. So how do I go about this. Should I play the audio in Ardour
only and the send it to the DAT recorder. Or should i play the exported
file in a player like Alsaplayer/ Audacity(which plays audio rec at
48Khz ‘?’) and then take the dump through SPDIF out into the DAT
recorder. Is this possible to do the above mentioned process(s) any
other way, which might be better.

Basically Im dealing with a lot of audio at 44KHz which has to mixed
together and the final output will be on 48Khz(DAT Tape). What could be
the best way to deal with it so that there is no or very little loss in
quality. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

ISh
(frEeMuZik.net/ sarai.net)