Re: [linux-audio-user] Poor Schmuck...

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 20:49:35 EEST

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 17:04, Reuben Martin wrote:
> Seems this fella from Oreilly is having some trouble figuring out how
> to get ardour, jack, and the like working to his satisfaction.
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7421

    But, but, how can this be? He's been a "full-time writer and
technology consultant/developer since 2000 and has worked for a variety
of publishers and companies". Apparently he doesn't want to read
documentation, ask online, check the FAQs, etc. He didn't even know
about ALSA's envy24control for his Delta 1010. Comparing Ardour to
Firefox is pretty ridiculous as well.

    "a real sticking issue is the fact that it looks so drastically
different from the rest of my GNOME driven desktop (Ardour uses GTK) and
is rather unintuitive". Ooh, it's not esthetically pleasing. Give me a
break. Yes, Ardour is complicated, duh.

    "If I can't use it, how is someone with no knowledge of audio
recording supposed to use it?" It wasn't designed for someone with no
knowledge of audio recording. That's what Cakewalk and its ilk are for.

    One of the comments was pretty nice too - "Just getting your instant
messager to notify you of a message while you are playing music from
XMMS". Are we interested in doing serious recording here or are we just
wanking around on the box? Pick one.

    I wonder if this guy has gone to a real studio and used a full-blown
Alsihad, er, Pro-Tools system. Yeah, it just works right out of the box
but it takes a damn PhD to run it. Hell, I was trying to mix on a
stinking little VS2000CD the other day and I actually had to read the
manual (what a surprise). The only reasonable bitch you can make about
Ardour is that it doesn't have a full manual yet.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice