[linux-audio-user] Qsynth query

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 20:07:53 EEST

Hi all,

I'm just making my first steps into recording/composing in Linux, with
some success.

I've got an complete up-to-date PlanetCCRMA FC3 installation, on a P3
700Mhz machine, with something in the region of 640Mb RAM, and a dirt
cheap CMI8738 soundcard. You can't go wrong with a soundcard that cost
less than £5! (I'll get something better soon, don't worry...)

At the moment, I've started jack with qjackctl. I'm recording my guitar
in ardour, alongside some sampled drum sounds.

The drum sounds are arranged in Rosegarden, and generated by fluidsynth
- using the 'nskit' soundfont from 'natural studio'. I'm using
fluidsynth with the qsynth gui.

Now, this is my first problem:

Whenever I start Rosegarden's transport, I hear no drum sounds from
qsynth. If I click on qsynth's 'Channels' button, and then double-click
on the channel, I see "nskit_7free" in channel 1. If I either
double-click on that channel, or toggle the "preview" tick box,
fluidsynth starts generating audio output.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to make the
settings permanent?

Thanks
Michael Nelson