Re: [linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 19:32:10 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 10:08:47 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 01:42 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
>>

>>>comparing Ardour to Cubase
>>>itsn't really reasonable as Ardour is a lot more sophisitcated
>>>

>>Are there people who consider Cubase user friendly? I guess it's
>>reasonable for MIDI people, but if you just want to do audio it's a
>>baffling ordeal.
>>

>Yeah, I always thought so, but then I often find windows baffling. But
>that bings up another point, people sometimes forget how much they had to
>learn to use thier "natural" apps :)

Agreed. As I implied under the "Poor Schmuck" thread, learning any type
of specialized application takes a bit of time. When you have a couple
of popular audio applications under your belt the next might be a bit
easier. The time it takes to learn the next audio app is usually
dependent on previous acquired knowledge. If the new app is similar and
the user can use past knowledge, the user will usually declare that it
is "easy" to use. Put another way, the vast majority of applications are
"easy" to use -- the learning curve is what we are really talking about.
Documentation is just a means to and end.

I separate application usage from system usage -- patching linux
kernels, tuning windows drivers, etc. -- is different can of worms all
together.

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124