Re: [linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

From: Erik Steffl <steffl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 07:57:59 EEST

Esben Stien wrote:
> "Joseph Dell'Orfano" <fullgo@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

>>serious enough to have a machine dedicated to my DAW
>

> I would say you're ignorant enough to have a dedicated computer for
> audio;). There is no need for this in this camp. If something disturbs
> your processes, then there is something wrong with the kernel and it
> needs to be fixed rather than trying to avoid it like this.

   not sure if PC as a platform is up to the task, it seems that e.g.
heavy disk I/O can usually get in the way.

   Plus of course, with different processes runnig you never know who's
gonna need enough memory for swap to be used...

   all in all, no matter what you can only service so much load so if
you want to make sure that your realtime tasks are really realtime you
might want to look into how to limit the load, which is not really
possible on totally general-use machine (even less so if it has more users).

   just imagine that fcheck kicks in and updatedb kicks in and few other
processes are started your disk is gonna run out of cycles and your
direct to disk recording is going to suffer and then you get slashdotted
so apache spawns 100s processes (or threads). So while having a
dedicated computer is not a strict requirement youd better watch what is
running and what else the computer is being used for.

        erik