Re: [linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 15:45:44 EEST

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:22:43 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
>
> >Audio predates MIDI by about 30 years. Being out of reach I'll agree
> >with, for sure!, but there were tube D/A converters being built in the
> >late 50's at MIT (meaning the resistor ladder type guts, not any
> >"audiophile" type of thing). Tom Stockham and the Soundstream were
> >pre-MIDI, there were various things going on in Europe, and the Synclavier
> >was doing sampling and resynthesis (not sampling playback as we know it)
> >before MIDI.
> >
> Again, just as a pointer, I recommend Curtis Roads' "Computer Music
> Tutorial" for a wonderful overview of Ye Olden Tymes. Also look for
> reminiscinces from the pioneer electronic composers of the day, e.g.,
> Lejaren Hiller, Milton Babbitt, Paul Lansky, Charles Dodge, and so forth.
>
> Btw, who are the leading European lights in the early days of computer
> music on that side of the pond ? I know many of the names associated
> with electronic and tape music, but I'm woefully ignorant of what went
> on in the computer corner.

I've no idea who was the first, but Peter Zinovieff of EMS was using
(pre-UNIX) PDP-9's in the '70s for audio, partly with DCOs though I think
http://www.ems-synthi.demon.co.uk/emsstory.html
There was a lot of work with custom architectures at IRCAM, but I dont
know much about it.

I second the recomendation for Roads, it's very good.

- Steve