Re: [linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 22:35:43 EEST

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 12:47 -0700, eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:34 , Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> sent:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 10:46 +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> >> That is the point, I absolutely dont feel reading up on something
> >> is necessarily a bad thing. My hair stand up if I watch
> >> a typical no-clue windows user more or less randomly hitting
> >> buttons in the interface until "something" works. I do feel this
> >> "it has to work out of the box without me having to know anything
> >> about it" attitude is childish.
> >>

> >I disagree violently with this line of reasoning. Software should
> >ALWAYS work the way the user expects it to unless there is a DAMN GOOD
> >REASON, for example if you are offering a much more powerful interface
> >than the user is used to.
> >
> >For example, most apps (Firefox and IE) use "Ctrl-F" to 'Find in page'.
> >Except Evolution, which forces you to use "Ctrl-S" to 'Find (Search) in
> >page', because they have already bound Ctrl-F to 'Forward message'.
>

> Ah, but Ctrl-S has been search in all versions of Emacs for the last couple
> of decades. I think that predates IE and Firefox. They must not have felt like
> doing it in the normal way ;-) And you don't need to point out that Emacs isn't
> a browser since Evolution isn't one either.

Correct, but I'm talking about the modern UNIX GUI desktop, the one that
we expect to be intuitive to Mac and Windows users. You know, KDE or
Gnome, Firefox, OpenOffice, Evolution or kmail. The type of stuff that
will meet the needs of 99% of computer users (yes we all know we are in
the other 1%). For better or for worse, Emacs is not a part of that.

Lee