Re: [linux-audio-user] Usability vs Intuitability in Ardour

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 00:15:24 EEST

On 25 July 2005 at 15:46, Ben Loftis <ben@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Most professional audio gear is like a bicycle. A bike is
> certainly not intuitive to a first time user, but once you
> learn how to balance, steer, etc, you can get around faster
> than someone on foot. This has sometimes been described as
> "intuitable" rather than intuitive.

Or, "discoverable" versus "usable".

Word is easy to discover for easy things to do. 'vi' is
*much* faster, if my 'vi' speed versus the 'Word' speed of my
compatriots is any gauge. Pull-down menus are "intuitive", where
as hot-keys are not. But, hot-keys get the work done quickly
once they're known. Pull-down menus which list their hot-key
shortcuts in the menu are quite nice for me. The Opera web
browser is one example of this.

> Professional audio tools can look quite alarming to the novice
> but must allow a pro facing a tight deadline to get his or
> her work done. Ardour should strive to be intuitable, not
> intuitive. I think it is progressing in this direction quite
> nicely.

Yes, Ardour was a little usable to me right away. After a few
hours, and the tutorial, it became quite useful for 80% of what I
want to do with it. There are still things that I need to learn.
On the other hand, I've used 3 different stand-alone DAWs, two
from Roland and one from BOSS. Each of those was *much* more
difficult to use or learn than Ardour, and I needed to memorize
or write down the obscure button-press combinations & sequences
to be able to do even simple things. That said, they are nice
units when driven right by someone expert at doing so.

Cheers...

--
Kevin